Windows 2008R2 File system problem

Hyper-V is hosting a guest-os, WinXP. One of the physical hard drive(say K) is directly connected to Guest-os, using Hyper-V setting. This physical hard drive(K) is completely dedicated to Guest-os. This physical hard drive(K) is disabled from the point of view of Host-os.

This setup worked fine for a while.... One day the guest-os corrupted the physical hard drive's filesystem. I disconnected the physical hard drive(K) from Guest-os, and unhid it from Host-os. I was trying to run chkdisk using Host-os. Host-OS, Windows 2008 R2 could not complete chkdisk. In the end OS froze and even shutdown also hung saying "waiting for windows Event service", then I had to powered off.

I rebooted the machine and began by stopping Hyper-V service. Then successfully ran HD Tune, verified the hard drive. Then I tried to run chkdsk and it failed again. Like before OS froze and had to power-off.

Then, I opened the machine, manually took out the drive(K) and connected to laptop as external hard drive. Laptop running WinXP, ran ChkDsk without any problem. I also formatted the drive (K), and changed the SIGNATURE .

I connected the drive(K) to Windows 2008R2 again. I had changed the signature of hard drive, to eliminate any chances of Hyper-V service accessing physical device but this did not help; Storage manager hung as before.

Finally I manually took out Segate drive from machine...

No comments: